Thursday, September 30, 2021

Parker Crumrine- EOTO presentation review

 After watching the presentation of everyone's EOTO technology I feel like my understanding of certain features or devices I use on a regular basis was rather limited previously.  I felt most strongly towards this when I was listening to Ethan's presentation on Google.  Before attending High point I used Google as a resource for all of my questions or problems which could range from a score of a sports game to purchasing a movie using my credit card information.  

    My usage began to decrease after hearing how Google can track all of your information. Initially, I was only concerned about Google stealing certain important information such as my credit card so I reframed from using any kind of service on the web requiring me to use a credit card.  Ethan's presentation took this concern one step further by outlining how Google's ability to track all of our searches helps them gain a perspective of your personal identity. Your personal identity can compose of your beliefs, values, hobbies, family, and friends.  Knowing a search engine has the ability to capture a glimpse of all of these experiences makes me question what aspects of our lives are private. This can be even more of a concern when the internet is able to figure out real personal matters such as religious beliefs. The government's ability to determine people's religious beliefs hinders violating the FA law of Freedom of religion. More concerningly this new information has caused me to question what other search browsers or technology companies are hiding important information like this from the average citizen.      

    Something else I found fascinating about Ethan's presentation was learning about Google's DOJ lawsuit which involved Google paying Apple a certain amount of money to set Google as the default on every Macbooks Safari.  This information paints a negative reflection on Google's company because it shows their desire to remain at the top of everyone's search engines no matter the wrongdoings they fail to acknowledge.  Overall Ethan's ability to accurately and concisely portray the new information he learned about Google has caused me to feel differently about their company as a whole.

https://indianlogo.blogspot.com/2011/12/safari-logo-safari-browser-logo.html







No comments:

Post a Comment

Parker Crumrine- Final Exam blog post

 Background on my online presence: After looking myself up on the internet and evaluating the social media sites I have and the extent to wh...